It’s important to look after your car to prevent problems developing and progressing. This is especially important in winter as more pressure is put on your car to cope with the strain of winter weather.
There are a few things you can do:
- Get your car serviced – servicing your car once a year can prevent many problems from happening. Take advantage of winter checks!
- Check your tyres – be aware of your cars correct tyre pressure and tread. The AA recommends 3mm of tread.
- Top up engine coolant with anti-freeze – this prevents coolant from freezing. Go for a 50/50 mix. Coolant prevents your car from over-heating.
- Check your light bulbs – replace them as soon as possible if they are not working and make sure they’re visible.
- Keep an eye on your battery – avoid lots of short journeys in cold weather and get it checked if you have consistent trouble starting your car.
- Ensure your washer liquid is filled – you can buy liquid suitable for freezing temperatures.
- Check oil level – top up if necessary. High oil consumption can indicate engine problems!