In 2017, over 8.1 million used cars changed hands. That is a lot of used cars, right?
So how do you navigate it all? Where can you find your perfect match? What should you look for in a used car? Where can you get the best advice?
Fear not, we have compiled a list of some top tips and useful advice to help you in finding you're perfectly matched used car:
- To go used or not to go used? It’s worth looking at a dealer’s website so you can see what offers are available and if it is worth part exchanging your existing vehicle for a new one.
- Compile a list of what features and requirements you are looking for in your perfect match. Does it need to have certain requirements? What are your must-have features? Can I compromise on features vs cost? Thinking about this early on will help determine the vehicles you are looking for and help maximise your search.
- Map out your budget! The car might be the right price but what does that mean for your insurance and car tax? Will it increase or decrease? Mapping it out and doing some research can help make the decision process much easier
- Check the documentation. If you are buying a used car, you will need to check the V5C registration document along with the MOT certificates, service history records and log book. If you're purchasing a used car from a dealer, they will be able to give you access to all these documents making the process more trustworthy.
- Extra Protection. While you might pay slightly more than a private sale, buying from a dealer does give you extra consumer protections. You will be able to make complaints if things do unfortunately go wrong with the vehicle. In the event, the car turns out to be faulty and you were unaware at the time, you can get a refund, repair or replacement. It’s unlikely there will be a fault but at least you will have peace of mind in the event there is a fault. As part of the Das Welt Auto used car scheme, we offer a 3-month warranty and guarantee and includes a full 203 multipoint vehicle check.
- Perception is everything: Make sure you view the vehicle during the daytime and in good weather. This will allow you to see any possible dents, scratches and closer up in proper lighting. Most dealerships operate during traditional work hours making it easier to not only view the car but ask any questions.
- Make sure you take it for a test drive. This might be tricky during a private sale but with a dealership, they will be able to organise a test drive for you. This means you can check it meets your needs and also get a feel for the car and how it drives before purchasing.
- Don’t rely solely on internet searches. Seeing is believing, make sure you don’t rely purely on online searches. There is nothing wrong with heading down to a dealer and scoping the range even if you’re not quite ready to go through the full process of doing a test drive or purchasing a vehicle.
Come in and see us! If you have mapped out your budget or you have some ideas of what you want, then come and speak to us. Even if you haven’t got that far there is no harm in talking to us. We are a friendly bunch and we will do our utmost to ensure that we help you in any way possible. We want you to be happy so let’s talk about how we can make that happen.